Did you know that World Elephant Day is August 12? The Wildlife Conservation Society’s 96 Elephants campaign focuses on protecting forest elephants from extinction, through awareness and legislation. More than 35,000 elephants are killed by poachers each year for their ivory and the goal of 96 Elephants is to stop the killing, demand and trafficking of elephant ivory.
Last weekend, President Obama announced his administration’s proposal to ban ivory sales in the United States. The public has 60 days to comment on the bill and then the administration can make changes. We don’t want the bill to become less effective as a result, so we need your support!
The 96 Elephants campaign is named for the number of elephants currently gunned down each day by poachers. It focuses on: securing effective U.S. moratorium laws; bolstering elephant protection with additional funding; and educating the public about the link between ivory consumption and the elephant poaching crisis. You can learn more about 96 Elephants at the official site, http://www.96elephants.org.
World Elephant Day is August 12 and the Bronx Zoo has SIX activities to help spread the word:
- STAMPede activity. Kids will be encouraged to color in or use a hand stamp on an elephant foot print to #BeHerd and show their support for elephants.
- Make a pledge to participate in #BeHerd comment days – go here immediately to sign a pledge: http://bit.ly/1UlvZpI
- Take an #Elphie with the World Elephant Day photo booth. Use props & frames to take fun photos to support elephants. Remember to tag with #elphie & #BeHerd
- Visit the World Elephant Day exhibit in the Dancing Crane Pavilion
- Sign letters to President Obama supporting the ivory Ban
- Visit a 15 ton sand sculpture of an African elephant!
Can’t get to the Bronx Zoo? Donate a Tweet instead!
Please donate a tweet to save elephants: All you have to do is “Click” the below Tweet button and your tweet will be published: “Join the #STAMPede! I want my voice to #BeHerd so elephants don’t disappear. Support the federal ivory ban. bit.ly/1T0hOng”
I am a WCS Zoo Crew Ambassador and all opinions are always my own.