Like most families with young kids, we eat a lot of pasta. Right? Simply because pasta is easy to make and everyone eats it. Well, Barilla, the pasta brand has made making lunch or dinner even easier. In fact, Barilla has made it so easy that you’ll have something on the table in 60 seconds — which a working mom like me (and you!) can clearly appreciate!
I was invited to taste Barilla’s new microwaveable meals at a Barilla luncheon hosted by their Executive Chef Lorenzo Boni and their Registered Dietitian, Anna Rosales.
After some delicious antipasti and a lovely insalata, we tasted their new meals. Barilla offered five varieties, and I chose the Mezze Penne with the Spicy Marinara sauce, which was perfectly cooked al dente, and the sauce was just spicy enough without being too spicy.
They have four other varieties, including two whole grain versions (hurray!). After tasting all five, my favorite is…
- Mezze Penne with Tomato & Basil Sauce
- Mezze Penne with Traditional Marinara Sauce
- Whole Grain Fusilli with Vegetable Marinara Sauce –> my favorite!
- Whole Grain Mezze Penne with Tomato & Basil Sauce
Chef Lorenzo described to us that the Barilla microwaveable meals have the same Italian taste and quality we’ve all come to expect from Barilla. It’s made from the same 100% natural ingredients as Barilla dry pasta and sauces, they are shelf stable, portable and ready in just 60 seconds. Check out the ingredient list on the back of the box: it reads like a recipe!
What I love about the meals? Anna Rosales, Barilla’s registered dietitian, explained the nutritional facts for each package. Each 9 oz. package has 1 serving of pasta and sauce and:
- All meals are 320 calories or less.
- There are no artificial colors or added preservatives.
- All meals provide between 9g and 11g of protein.
- The pasta in the microwaveable meals is an excellent* source of fiber.
- The sauce in the microwaveable meals are a good or excellent* source of vitamin A.
- The whole grain varieties are a good* source of iron.
*This is based on the Percent Daily Values, which are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, as per the Nutrition Facts Panel.
How am I going to use Barilla’s Microwaveable Meals?
- For the girls: I can easily give the girls the pasta as a full meal, or if I have a little more time, give them the pasta as a side with my famous chicken cutlets.
- For work: I bring a meal into the office; at $3.29 each, this is a great way to save money!
- For when I’m home alone: When Michael is out for a work dinner, this is a great one-person meal that I easily make and serve with a side salad.
The SRP for Barilla’s microwaveable meals is $3.29 and will be available in the microwaveable meals aisle in major supermarkets throughout the United States. For more information on Barilla microwaveable meals, visit BarillaUS.