When I think of Thanksgiving, I think of homecooked meals, my mom in the kitchen fretting for hours over a huge turkey, delicious mashed sweet potatoes, perfectly steamed green beans and yummy dessert – all on beautiful china, in a large house with a dining room (what’s that?) and oh, and yeah, a ton of clean up afterwards. Fast-forward a few decades and I am a wife and a mom, living in a New York City apartment – without a dining room, working 50 hours a week and studying because I am also a part-time grad school student. Needless to say, the thought of cooking a full Thanksgiving meal is bit out of reach. Luckily, we live in the best city in the world with a multi-tude of dining options whether its at 3am or 3pm — and Thanksgiving Day is no different.
To prove my point, just yesterday, I received an email from Opentable.com and it rounded up a bunch of restaurants that still had reservations open for Thanksgiving dinner! Below is a quick round-up of some restaurants in downtown NYC:
- Dylan Prime: 62 Laight Street, Tribeca. 212.334.4783. Featuring Maple Brined Roast Turkey, Yukon Gold Mashed Potatoes, Sweet Potatoes with Marshmallows, Green Bean Casserole, Roast Chestnut-Dried Fig-Sausage Stuffing, Cinnamon Cranberry Sauce, and Giblet Gravy for $45 per person, $22 per child twelve years and under.
- The Harrison: 355 Greenwich Street, Tribeca. 212.274.9310 . They are offering A $75 Prix-Fixe Menu With Three Courses Featuring Traditional Thanksgiving Dishes. Check out their Thanksgiving Preview Menu.
- Landmarc: 179 West Broadway, Tribeca. 212.343.3883. There isn’t a Thanksgiving menu up on the site, but I do love how kid/family friendly they are – especially if you go on the early side, plus they have a special kids menu that ranges from $6-$15.
Below are some other options that weren’t on OpenTable’s list:
- The Bailey Pub & Brasserie: 52 William Street, Financial District. 212.859.2200. I’ve reviewed The Bailey Pub & Brasserie late last week and they just released their 3-course Thanksgiving menu for $45 pp.
- Cowgirl Seahorse: 259 Front Street, North Seaport. 212.608.7873. They’ve got a Thanksgiving To Go Menu that ranges from $89.95 for a dinner for four to a $249.95 for a dinner for 12.
- WholeFoods: 270 Greenwich Street, Tribeca. 212.349.6555. Wholefoods of course has a Thanksgiving Dinner Package that you can order as late as Tuesday, November 23rd! They have a complete turkey dinner for two at $44.99 to a turkey dinner for 12 at $199.99.
It doesn’t matter if you have a family of two or a family of twelve; if you are a stay-at-home mom, or a working mom – sometimes it’s just nice to give thanks for living in the greatest city in the world, with the best restaurant options, and being able to take advantage of that especially on a day like Thanksgiving.