This is one of those tried-and-true recipes that my mom made for me and my brother when we were younger. She worked full-time and rushed to get dinner made. This is one of those easy recipes where an older child (who knows how to handle raw meat, can step in), so when I came home from school, I’d do my homework, then follow whatever directions my mom had for me to make dinner. For this marinated chicken breast recipe, all I would have to do is put the chicken into a casserole dish and pour some Wishbone Italian Dressing on top of it. Then I’d wait for my mom to come home and cook it. It is quick to prepare and takes 30 minutes to cook. So this recipe is perfect for busy moms.
You can marinate the chicken breasts for fifteen minutes up to one hour. The more time, the better the flavor, of course.
I don’t remember how my mom would cook it, but I fine-tuned this recipe over the years. I know from watching the Food Network that heating a combination of olive oil and butter is always a good thing.
Then setting the chicken into the hot goodness making it sizzle up. Tip: Put a mesh cover over the cast iron pan so that the oil won’t splatter everywhere. Let the chicken brown over medium-high heat for five minutes on one side until it is a nice light golden brown.
Turn the chicken breasts over and let the other side turn a light brown as well. Don’t worry it’ll all get good and carmelized later.
This is why I love using a cast iron pan. Place the cast iron pan and chicken into the oven (without the mesh cover). This is when all the magic happens. The dressing gets all carmelized in the oven and the chicken gets fully cooked without drying out. About half-way through the time in the oven, take the chicken out and turn them over and pop them back in the oven for the remainder of the time.
I promise your whole family will enjoy this marinated chicken breast recipe. The chicken is moist and the Wishbone Italian dressing delivers great flavor. You an also use leftovers (if there are any) in a salad and eat it for lunch!
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 cup Wishbone Italian dressing
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Place chicken breasts into a container and pour the dressing over it. Make sure that the dressing covers it and is also under the chicken breasts.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator and let marinate for at least 30 minutes, up to 1 hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Place the olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter into a cast iron pan and let it heat up until butter melts, but doesn’t brown.
- Place marinated chicken breasts into the cast iron pan over medium-high heat and let brown, approximately 5 minutes.
- Turn chicken breasts on other side and let brown for another 5 minutes.
- Place entire cast iron pan with chicken breasts into the oven. After 10 minutes, turn the chicken over. Cook for the remaining 10 minutes or until cooked through.
- Tip: If you’re really in a rush, you can marinate it for 10-15 minutes.